Saturday, November 27, 2010


I have so many things to be thankful for this year and not a minute went by on Thanksgiving that I did not think of my number one thing: my donor.

What a wonderful feeling it was to be able to enjoy the day without coughing or using oxygen. I can't tell you the last time I was able to spend a Thanksgiving without having a home health nurse come visit me or that I was had the energy to drive 2 hours to my hometown, visit my in-laws, my dearest friend and her family, go to my parents house, eat, watch football and then drive 2 hours home. I have never been able to just get up and decide to go black Friday shopping. It was always plan to go, wake up to do my meds and then go when I had someone else to go with me. This year I got up at 3am and looked online for deals. Then I figured I was awake so why not venture out. The roads were icy but that didn't stop me from shopping from 6am until 3pm. I got 99% of my Christmas shopping done and my groceries. By 7pm, I was asleep on the couch. My husband woke me up and sent me to bed. Then at 9pm, he woke me up to take 2 pills and then I was fast asleep again. No skipping a neb treatment or vest treatment because I was too tired or even staying up for a hour longer than I felt like.

Today, I got to watch lifetime movies all day. I started a walk around noon but I got about a 1/2 mile down the road and I started getting all sweaty and shaky. Not because it was warm out either it was only about 35 degrees. My blood sugar dropped so I headed back home. I checked my blood sugars and it was 66. I ate a Turkey and stuffing sandwich with some milk. Once my belly was full, I turned on Lifetime and feel asleep. At 3:30pm, I looked outside and it was snowing. I bundled up and brought the dogs for about a 2 mile walk. It was tougher than I thought because the roads were covered with snow and ice. It was a workout staying on my feet. It is so wonderful going for a walk in the cold without the cold air taking my breath away or making me cough so hard and so much that I wish I would had worn a depends. HA HA HA.

These are just a few of the things that reminded me to be thankful for my donor and his/her family. I know it was probably a tough Thanksgiving for them because the recently lost their loved one. I hope that someday I can share the memories with them that were made possible by their decision to donate their loved one's organs.

I also am thankful for all the people that loved and supported me over the past few years. There were so many people in my communities that cheered me one and still do. It means so much to me.

All last week, I thought about the people that went above and beyond for me in the past few years. There were those that took me shopping because I couldn't carry my own bags. The people that called and talked with me to help me pass time while I was in the hospital or at home because I was to ill to have a social life. The many people that sent me cards or thoughtful gifts while I was recovering from my surgery. The people that took the time out of their busy life to bring me to my appointments whether that was in Boston, Portland, Buxton or Windham. Of course, I thought about the Doctors and Nurses that took care of me in the past and that still continue to do so. There were two people that I thought about most, the two that finally convinced me it was time to go active on the transplant list. I didn't name names because those that did these things know who they are. I know if I named everyone that I am thankful for, I would leave someone important out.

I hope everyone took some time to be thankful to those that have made a difference in their lives this Thanksgiving.

No comments: