Thursday, May 20, 2010

Little Bump in the road

Any one who has gone through a transplant knows the journey is full of ups and downs. I got a call from my nurse coordinator at the transplant clinic today and I have mild A2 acute rejection found with my biopsy on Tuesday. I don't really feel much different other than a little tired, I breathe a little harder walking up hills and a little pain in my lower ribs/lungs (not really sure where the pain is coming from). So i will be going to Boston for 3 days for IV steroids. This is a little bump in the road and I have nothing but positive thoughts about this. I am so glad we bumped up my biopsy. Thank God for Dr. DD. LOL! She is the one that suggested it after a 5% drop in my lung functions.

This will make the third trip to Boston this week. I should just change my residence. Luckily, I love my transplant clinic and Brigham and Women's Hospital.

My scar is healing and fading nicely, I will post some pictures next week.

I am so happy to say that James got his transplant at PENN yesterday and already has his vent out. I am so excited for him and his family. Thank God for donors and their families.

I got out and went for a nice head clearing walk. Along the way, I stopped at the lake and played with my dogs for about half hour. I really needed a little time to myself.

i am hoping that these steroids make me feel better than I could imagine. I knew last week before I did my PFTs that they would be down. That must have been a sign for me. I guess I need to learn to listen to my body and figure out what it is trying to tell me. This is so different that the past but so worth it. I still would not change anything! I was always told, what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. I am a true believer in that!

3 comments:

BreathinSteven said...

It's a teeny bump, and they're on top of it! It's always a scary one - but you're at a good center with awesome doctors and they will guide you easily through this...

And you've got a lot of people out here in the world who have you in their thoughts and they're sending good vibes and prayers and anything that helps!!!

Go get 'em, Steph... Bring a book and something to do - you'll probably be buzzed for a few days with the steroids... You'll do great...

Love, Steve

Katey said...

Glad things are going pretty well and you are able to get out and do stuff. Sorry about the rejection...but like you said, it is a small bump in the road, and the majority of transplant patients experience some form of acute rejection at some point. I had the stage 2 acute rejection 2 yrs ago and did the steroids for 3 days as well! Hope all goes well with that and it clears up the rejection!

Heidi Karn Barker said...

I had the same experience - about 2 months after the transplant, I had A1 rejection, but the 3 days of prednisone took care of that. I couldn't believe it when the docs told me all I needed was 3 days' worth - you'll feel fabulous and even better than you do now once that powerboost is over!