Friday, February 5, 2010

Why???

As I wait for my transplant, I keep asking why did this happen now. Why couldn't my little lungs hold out longer for a new drug that might make a difference. With CF, we all hope for a cure. I did my best to stay health so I could hopefully take advantage of a cure but unfortunately a cure will not help the scaring in my lungs.

Why can't science be speed up. In the past ten years, I have heard so many promising things but none have come to fruition. Like using stem cell to grow new lung tissue to repair scarring. Or gene therapy that could have actually fixed the messed up gene in some one with CF. Now there is a drug in clinical studies that will help reduce sweat chloride levels — a key indicator of CF. This would mean the mucus in people with CF would not be so thick.

Why do I need a transplant when the future could mean something different to many with CF. Is this a pity party? No! Just keep wondering why me? Why now?

Any way that is my though of the day.

2 comments:

Rachel Murray said...

I can't imagine what you're feeling or thinking waiting for the call to get your double lung transplant. But, I can tell you what it's like to love someone that is waiting for a double lung AND pancreas transplant. I know he too had those same questions you have, and I know too that he asked his Mom when he was little "why me?" I wish I had an answer for you and everyone who has Cystic Fibrosis. But, I will tell you this...the people that I have met and read about online that do have Cystic Fibrosis are some of the most amazing people I will ever have the pleasure of meeting. You don't know the courage you carry and the strength that I could only hope to have one day. I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason and your new lungs are going to make you feel amazing.

Rachel

James Fahr said...

I don't think we will ever really know the answer. we can just spend our energies to fight against the disease, and to try to pass our wisdom on to those who will face the same trials that we have been through.