Thursday, April 8, 2010

It keeps getting better

It has been three weeks since my transplant. Everyday I wake up and can't believe that I feel better than the day before. Yesterday, I had 2 more drain tubes pulled from my chest. Since then, I can't believe how much easier it is to cough. of course, my lungs are in the process of healing so I have old lung tissue and junk in my lungs from the surgery. It feels so great when I cough junk up.

I have so many fun facts to share about all of this. Like, I no longer have nerves going from my lungs to my brain to tell me that I need to cough. I need to feel the junk in my lungs and tell myself to cough. If I don't force myself to cough, then I won't and the crap will just sit in my lungs. Luckily, the stuff in my lungs is not thick and glued on like before my transplant. So when I make myself cough the stuff moves unlike when I had CF lungs.

My transplant center really stresses the importance of exercise post transplant. There are many reasons for this. One, exercise is great for the heart and lungs. I don't think that needs any more explanation. Two, exercise helps keeps the bones strong. With all the steroids and anti-rejection medication, your bones can suffer. In addition to the exercise, I am on Vitamin D, Calcium and Magnesium to help with bone strength. Three, now that my body is not working so hard to breath, it won't burn through so many calories. Many transplant patients gain lots of weight post transplant because of the lower calories that are being used and the medications increase your appetite. So I have been very committed to my exercise routine. Today, I did 2 miles in 36 minutes on the treadmill. I use to dread getting on the treadmill because it was so much work. Now, my poor little legs can't keep up with my heart and lungs. I never thought I would ever say that.

I promise you that I won't keep boring you all with just transplant related stuff but right now that is where I am in this journey. Once I am healed up and living my life to it's fullest, I will share all of that with you. I do not plan to close my blog. This blog and my readers have been a very important piece of my life in the past 3 years.

2 comments:

OceanDesert said...

Let the fun begin!!! :)

Can't wait to hear all about your new adventures!!

Jess said...

You're not boring us at all! I love hearing all the positive things you feel after transplant! So glad its working for you!